Saturday, November 26, 2011

So much for Shakespeare, huh?


The first time I picked up a Shakespearean play, I did not understand a word. But somewhere between the thee(s), thy(s) and wherefore (s) I fell in love with telling a story with the touch of my keyboard. But when a hobby turned in to an itch for worldly success, I had no choice but to go to a business school. Wait! What!? Yes you read right, a business school, where I learned all about how to take people’s hard earned money without going to jail. The writer dream had to wait, or be transformed into a degree of journalism, where at least I will get to write articles and write I will, ‘news’ is something this country offers in abundance. Lack of enthusiasm or care for the corrupt politics of my soil, made me think otherwise.

Hearing Imran Khan’s rally in Lahore and registering the vote, woke up my sleeping self. I suddenly demanded opportunities youth of other countries had or strived for. I have problems I want solved and I will choose to voice them. Which brings me to my ‘blog’ of the day, Why is there not a single reputable (or ‘non’ reputable) college dedicated to literature and the art of writing? Other than a mere course, why isn’t there a proper degree? On a larger scale, Why is our college curriculum and degree options so limited? And finally, Why do we, the students, refuse to voice our reservations?

Too many questions, all point towards the issue of a diverse curriculum. People around me have said that I should be thankful at the progress the educational institutions have made in Pakistan. Why I ask? We should applaud at the progress we as a diverse curriculum are making because now we are allowed to study to film and media?

EXT. GRAVEYARD- NIGHT

A ‘former army president’ turning over in his grave, mission accomplished liberals!

The higher education institutions are of a world class level, they continue. Yes indeed! Two of them in the whole country, or may be three maximum. Sounds like immense progress to me, Right?

Don’t get me wrong, there isn’t a drop in me that isn’t patriotic (on most days at least), but Imran Khan is trying to wake up the youth, demolish corruption and increase our standard of living, so in my opinion, this is another issue we need to pay attention to.

We are no where near the potential I believe this country and its youth has, so why stop now? Let’s stop being so easily convinced and satisfied. Let’s brainstorm diversity and acceptance, let’s teach our students what they want to learn, at a college level at least, for God’s sake. I don’t want to leave my country and study abroad, that is not the solution. I don’t want to go to Harvard or Yale, I want to have Pakistan’s own version of Harvard and Yale, let people come to us! We don’t want to leave home! We want change! We want all the things this wonderful country and its wonderful people deserve! I want to have the option of being a writer or psychologist, instead of banker or doctor and architect. This is the era of change, of innovation. There are professions and jobs that did not exist ten years ago, let’s catch up people! We have a lot to learn in little time. Stop wasting this time and embrace diverse knowledge.

22 comments:

Iqbal.M said...

well written! an interesting perspective, you are absolutely right, we need freedom to chose what we want to study at a college level, this is the start of our professional careers and what we study here and skills we learn here, matter for the rest of our lives.

ZAC said...

Well written Zara :)
I agree with your stance and sense of the NEED of Self-realisation.
May PAKISTAN and the Nation prosper. Ameen!

Ubaid said...

nicely written zara, I love the expression used

and I agree with what ZAC said

AMEEN!

Ayesha Shakeel said...

well you are lucky that you can still fulfill the writing dream while you study at a business school...always make time to write for yourself... i know people who wanted to be astronauts and ended up in medical schools...well written though...i like your expression...good luck

Ayesha Shakeel said...

and yes....i love the line about having a yale and havard in Pakistan....inshala....

Anonymous said...

very well written I beleieve INSHALLAH we will have our own Harvard and Yale and he will be even better INSHALLAH

Vohra said...

Very Well Written and you are absolutely right

Anonymous said...

Very well written, this is exactly what i have been crying out for !!

Anonymous said...

very well written, you're right, we do need to have the freedom of subjects at college level. :) keep coming up with such things !!

Ubaid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Saad Malik said...

You know it's not often that i find an article that makes me think, that actually makes me wonder about how much more there is to be done. Brilliantly written, spot on with each and every detail. I don't think there is anyone who would disagree with this at all. Inshallah Pakistan will find a way around these problems and hopefully in the near future! Ameen.

Ubaid said...

Very interesting and very logicial ! we have a breed of geniuses breathing right here in pakistan but we need to retain such talent within the country .
Zainab Malik

h1 said...

Nice! was very fun to read, and at college level i do believe there need to be a wider range of subjects to choose from. Its just all the same - doctor, engineer, architect - we need change, so that the current crop of geniuses can pull this sinking ship out of its ocean of problems, help Pakistan work towards a better future. Kudos to the writer for bringing this up. Nicely written also (:

Usman khokhar said...

the begining was very good , made my intrest at the start, and the point of discussion , in this article is important why is there no proper degree or college for literature and art writing.. the choice of selecting your profession is limited.

& so is the law limited for the one not in power, but we are seeking a change, through imran khan :)

hope you keep on writing what you feel. stay blessed

Usman khokhar

Ubaid said...

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and wonderful comments!! :)

-Zara Mirza

Anonymous said...

An interesting piece, although some people may disagree with me but i believe that writing is something that should be given minimal importance over subjects like business, science e.t.c. that's why i believe that putting so much time and money in promoting literature would be foolish.

Ubaid said...

@anonymous (comment above)
thank you for reading!
it's thinking like that we intend to change :)

Schazeen Bokhari said...

Enjoyed reading it. I can relate to all aspects addressed here. Especially the part where you have pointed out that there is not a single reputable (or ‘non’ reputable) college dedicated to literature and the art of writing.

Amazing work!

Javad said...

Very well written, I hope these issues continue to be addressed and change happens soon for all of us! You've made a good start by pointing out some of the flaws.

Anonymous said...

we need to start a trend of reading books and appreciating them! you are right, we need freedom of expression and freedom of choice (we are a democracy right?)

Dblogger said...

very well written! lets fight the good fight!

Anonymous said...

you have exactly raised the voice of us.....there must be a wide range of choices to choose and every field should be given equal importance as in our society mostly engineers and doctors are always considered to be superior

Post a Comment

 
Design by Ubaid Ullah Ahmed | For more customization and designs visit our Facebook Page